One of the most important elements of your job search is your résumé. Employers spend, on average, less than 30 seconds screening a résumé. So, it is essential for your résumé to project a clear and concise picture of your skills, professional qualities, goals and achievements.
There is no “right” or “wrong” way to put together a résumé, but if you follow some of the suggestions outlined you will find your document can help you attract the eye of recruiters fast!
Check out these Career Services podcasts for helpful tips and hints to building a resume:
Do’s & Don’ts
|Writing Effective Bullets||The Best & Worst Fonts to Use on Your Resume||Resume:
Follow these tips and your resume will be on its way to making a great statement about you to any potential employers.
- A resume needs to be readable. Make it clear with an easy to read font.
- Envelopes matter. Don’t send your resume in your current employer’s envelope or use metered postage from your current employer. This just tells the next company that you will use their resources for your personal mail.
- Keep your resume free from poor grammar and typing mistakes. When you make a mistake on your resume, it shows a lack of attention to detail.
- Don’t make it difficult for the employer to contact you. If you list only a home telephone number – and you are never home during business hours – they can’t schedule an interview.
- Customize your “objective” for each employer and position. Read the job posting carefully and make your objective match what they are looking for in an employee.
- For each past employer, highlight your key achievements, not a list of your job duties.
- Completely list your education dates along with any degrees you completed.
- Don’t forget to include any awards or recognition you have received.
*Resume advice is based on nationwide best practices and on employer feedback.
To review some of our resume samples click the image below:
Resume Drop-ins Info & Tips:
- First come, first served (call to check on wait times)
- Bring a draft or working document (look at resume samples online)
- Make an appointment with your advisor if you can not attend drop-ins and need assistance 920-424-2181
- Drop-ins are available when classes are in session